Thursday, May 21, 2026

SpaceX’s IPO filing reveals Anthropic pays $15 billion a year for access to its data centers

Share

Anthropic agreed will pay SpaceX $1.25 billion per month through May 2029 for access to its cloud computing infrastructure, a long-awaited U.S. regulatory filing revealed Wednesday. In other words, Anthropic will send the rival AI lab about $15 billion a year, an extraordinary sum that highlights how access to computing has become one of the bottlenecks in the race to develop advanced AI.

Anthropic and SpaceX announced a deal earlier this month that gives developer Claude access to GPUs at Colossus and Colossus II, two data centers located between Tennessee and Mississippi with more than one gigawatt of computing power. SpaceX was rushing to build facilities for its xAI unit, which is developing the Grok AI chatbot, but Musk said his company ultimately didn’t need all the computing power. The terms of the transaction were not previously disclosed.

Anthropic will pay an unspecified reduced fee for May and June before the $1.25 billion monthly rate takes effect, SpaceX said in its S-1 regulatory filing.

This impressive number shows how hungry Anthropic is for the computing resources needed to power products such as its increasingly popular AI coding tools. The company’s revenues for the second quarter of 2026 are: is expected to exceed $10 billion– reports “The Wall Street Journal”.

An Anthropic spokesperson confirmed these figures to WIRED. SpaceX did not immediately respond to WIRED’s request for comment.

SpaceX says it expects to “enter into additional contracts for similar services” for its computing infrastructure and will continue to utilize its data centers for itself. “We have sufficient capabilities to provide computation for our own AI models, including supporting our training and inference needs, and to meet the obligations under these agreements,” the filing said. “We believe our dual monetization strategy provides multiple paths to generating returns on invested capital.”

The filing details SpaceX’s business opportunities and risks ahead of its initial public offering. SpaceX is pursuing the largest public offering in history, hoping to raise about $75 billion at a valuation of $1.75 trillion. The company filed preliminary documents confidentially with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission on April 1, giving it time to make changes based on feedback from the regulator. The statement released Wednesday is a simplified version, although additional changes may occur ahead of its debut on the Nasdaq exchange under the ticker SPCX, which could reportedly occur as early as June 12.

The documents show SpaceX, including X and xAI, generated nearly $4.7 billion in revenue and lost nearly $4.3 billion in the first quarter of this year. The documents show that SpaceX generated $18.7 billion in revenue last year but lost $4.9 billion as it spent heavily on developing artificial intelligence technology and a bigger rocket.

The S-1 is intended to support potential investors better understand the company and the challenges it faces. A common concern is the amount of power Musk has over SpaceX and whether there are enough safeguards in place to keep the co-founder and CEO in check.

Fragments of the IPO application seen by Reuters before it was published, it showed that the only person who could fire Musk was the billionaire himself. The documents also indicate that he will be able to do this stay in control the company’s management board. Additionally, he and his allies will have above-average sizes voice strengthallowing them to fend off attempts by activist shareholders to derail the company’s efforts. SpaceX also plans to utilize Texas law to fend off hostile takeovers and removals of directors or officers.

Latest Posts

More News